• Vi invitiamo a ridimensionare le foto alla larghezza massima di 800 x 600 pixel da Regolamento PRIMA di caricarle sul forum, visto che adesso c'è anche la possibilità di caricare le miniature nel caso qualcuno non fosse capace di ridimensionarle; siete ufficialmente avvisati che NEL CASO VENGANO CARICATE IMMAGINI DI DIMENSIONI SUPERIORI AGLI 800 PIXEL LE DISCUSSIONI VERRANNO CHIUSE. Grazie per l'attenzione.

English conversation

elena_11293

Master Florello
Yes, there are many words that are similar but which have different meanings. I often used to say my husband had done something 'tremendous' which in English means he has done something extremely well. In Italian 'tremendo' is more or less the opposite. no wonder my sister-in-law looked at me with an odd expression!

Another similar one is terrific ;)

Many hugs to you all!! :)

jp60

Giardinauta
Yes! People like and need lots of TLC (tender loving care).

We usually say someone has 'a lot of patience' or 'loads of patience'

English is so irritating for people to learn there are too many exceptions!

Harma

Maestro Giardinauta
And Dutch is so irritating for my throat :lol: because my nice and her husband were here for a couple of days..The pronouce of the G in Dutch you never use in Italian.It was very nice to see my family...In 30 years I saw them maybe 2 times,and it was like I see them every day...:Saluto:

MelissaP

Aspirante Giardinauta
Another checkin. My daughter and I are going to visit family in the U.S. this summer and so I've been buying books. I order them on or through Amazon, have them mailed to my sister's place, then pick them up and haul them back in my suitcase when we return. I've been doing this for years.
Everyone in my family reads, and, especially when money is tight, books are an invaluable source of ideas and entertainment. After several months in which I didn't read very seriously, recently I began reading rather intensively, neglecting the garden among other things. Right now I'm most of the way through 'Reading Lolita in Tehran'. What an excellent book, and how vividly it brings to life the oppression of living in Iran in these days. I'm feeling oppressed too, with the current economic situation, and it was comforting to have it put into words. But I'm envious of those women discussing literature with such earnestness. I love books and have no one to talk about them with.
I don't support Amazon's efforts to take over the world of e-commerce, but they're really good if you want to do research on what's currently in print. I also use the British branch, but the U.S. one is better for many American authors and publishers. The books are piling up at my sister's trailer. In return for keeping them for me she gets to read any of them she's interested in.
We have a local public library, open at inconvenient hours, and it's linked to the impressive public library in Piacenza, which I visited for the first time a couple of weeks ago: what a great place! I love public libraries. I've never learned to love Italian literature, it doesn't speak to me, though I can read Italian well enough. I also read in French, with some effort, and in German, though that part of our home library hasn't been updated for years. Does anyone know of a good online German bookstore?
Well, off to my book again. Have a good day, everybody!
Melissa

Harma

Maestro Giardinauta
Hi Melissa....I envy you that you find the time for reading.I am just reading before I go to sleep,that's why I bought an e-reader,because it's very comfortable,but on-line we are just in the beginning of this system,in Italian I cannot find much books to download,in Dutch it's a little bit easier but I am sure in english you will find a lot.But I am also sure that you don't like the e-books,most people who read a lot don't like it,but think about it ,in many occasions it's comfortable...I'll look for "Lolita in Tehran"...thank you

MelissaP

Aspirante Giardinauta
Harma,
I love paper books, there's no doubt about that, but I definitely think that e-books have their place in the world. I've wondered if I could get a non-resident card at a U.S. public library (at some libraries you can get one by paying an annual fee) and then check out e-books. I don't think it would matter that I'm in Italy. I don't currently have a reader beyond the notebook computer I'm writing on, which works but is inconvenient, but sooner or later we'll get a more flexible device. And you can find a lot of literary classics free on gutenberg.org, mostly in English; possibly there are similar sites for other languages. I don't know about Dutch. What I do object to is paying money for an e-book. For me owning a book means being able to hold it, to lend it and, if I want to get rid of it, to donate it to a library book sale. You can't do those things with an e-book.
When I buy books I do try to be thrifty, and get books that will be read several times in our household. Some books I keep forever. I still have the paperback copy of 'The Lord of the Rings' I bought when I was fourteen, and I still read it. I recently had to tape together the one volume set of Jane Austen's romances that I bought when I was nineteen. I will have my Dickens set for the rest of my life, though it's getting fragile and I have to be careful turning the pages. And since I bought my two volume 'Comte de Monte Cristo' a few years ago I've read it twice; and I can tell I'll be re-reading it at intervals for as long as I can read.
In a world where so many normal objects are becoming too expensive to think of buying, books, if well chosen, are one of the great bargains. They and plants are my two major investments in happiness. Of course my house is dusty, and I'm not earning and saving for my retirement. Even if I did, I'm not confident it would help much with our economic world teetering on the edge of collapse. But I know my books will always be worthwhile.
Melissa

Harma

Maestro Giardinauta
You have a beautiful way to live with books...very nice the phrase:Books and plants are my major investments in happiness...Mostly I buy books to consult,for example about plants,but I have a very good library in the place where I live,and if they don't have the book I want , they order it in another library..This morning I took<Leggere Lolita a Teheran>....I'll write you what I think about it....

MelissaP

Aspirante Giardinauta
Harma,
I hope you like it. I just finished reading it. It gave me what I apparently needed at this time: a different reality, and time with a thoughtful person.
Melissa

LucaXY

Master Florello
Hi guys,
unfortunately I'm absent during these months because we're doing works in our apartment, so we haven't the possibility to connect to the Internet regularly.

:Saluto:

LucaXY

Master Florello
Hi guys, does anybody know if FCE exam could be done at a center in Milan or only in England?
I think I'll work at least one year more on it, probably completing my book tasks and activities.

What about you. Have you lost this conversation?

Ultima modifica:

Harma

Maestro Giardinauta
Hi everyboby,I'am still here,but I'am just a little bit lazy....I bought a new computer and I'am still busy with it to understand how everything works...you know at my age I need a long time with all this high tecnology..Many times I am disperated,and I try not to involve other people,but sometimes I really need some advice.....A nice summer to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harma

Maestro Giardinauta
It was just the beginning of the famous song from the Beatles,but anyhow I would like to know how is everybody???? Shall we start again?? With the rain also game back a little bit energy...Wow this summer was really hot..Did you have a nice holiday???I worked a lot because from today I am in retired:D.....I am very happy about it,although I still have to work but not much like before....What about your garden??? They suffered???The rain was coming just in time,but not for all plants :(

LucaXY

Master Florello
It was just the beginning of the famous song from the Beatles,but anyhow I would like to know how is everybody???? Shall we start again?? With the rain also game back a little bit energy...Wow this summer was really hot..Did you have a nice holiday???I worked a lot because from today I am in retired:D.....I am very happy about it,although I still have to work but not much like before....What about your garden??? They suffered???The rain was coming just in time,but not for all plants :(

Hi Harma, my summer was really enjoyable as well, and it was really hot, and it rained a few days in June but not more in the rest of the summer.
I'll come back to school on Wednesday...
And...congratulations on your retirement, Harma! :)

Alto