• Vi invitiamo a ridimensionare le foto alla larghezza massima di 800 x 600 pixel da Regolamento PRIMA di caricarle sul forum, visto che adesso c'è anche la possibilità di caricare le miniature nel caso qualcuno non fosse capace di ridimensionarle; siete ufficialmente avvisati che NEL CASO VENGANO CARICATE IMMAGINI DI DIMENSIONI SUPERIORI AGLI 800 PIXEL LE DISCUSSIONI VERRANNO CHIUSE. Grazie per l'attenzione.

English conversation

Cheguevilla

Giardinauta Senior
You have done well to [1] open a topic on the in English language.It is very important to speak the language.I hope you spend [2] a happy Sunday:froggie_r
1 - This form is not used in english. To express that concept, you may say "It's a good thing that you opened..." or "You did a good thing by opening..."
2 - If you want to translate the italian subjuntive (congiuntivo), then you should use the present continuous or the future "I hope you are going to spend" or "I hope you will spend" or "I hope you are spending".

Have a good Sunday evening!

LucaXY

Master Florello
1 - This form is not used in english. To express that concept, you may say "It's a good thing that you opened..." or "You did a good thing by opening..."
2 - If you want to translate the italian subjuntive (congiuntivo), then you should use the present continuous or the future "I hope you are going to spend" or "I hope you will spend" or "I hope you are spending".

Have a good Sunday evening!

You're very accurate! :)
It seems that someone is using the translator... eheheh :lingua: That's no bad, don't worry, be happy :)

Ultima modifica:

mammagiò

Apprendista Florello
Good evening boys and girls, I don't remember English language...sorry. I studied fourty years ago and I spoke only a few times...
but I come here to read you...
Kiss

LucaXY

Master Florello
Good evening boys and girls, I don't remember English language...sorry. I studied fourty years ago and I spoke only a few times...
but I come here to read you...
Kiss

Hi mammagiò, there are some mistakes: the first one you have already corrected it once you've written the text :D (you wrote forty instead of fourty) the second one is that is better say "I have spoken", because the consequences have still effect in the present (grammatically correct). :)
And the third one is relative, so "I have studied".... (present perfect)
(Do you agree?)

Good evening everybody!

elena_11293

Master Florello
Hi there! :)

Since you guys already edited some of the previous comments (which I think is something helpful), I'll add also these corrections:

So far so good, but are we going to talk about anything specific?
Maybe we should set something like an argument, shouldn't we?

"Argument" is a false friend for us, it means "discussione" in Italian (one of those you have when you are angry, not just talking and sharing ideas). I think Cheguevilla instead meant to say "topic"..

No Sparta have not beer but they have beautiful girl!
Spartans eaten only a cup of cereals and water once a day ... in the stomach may be become beer!
Sorry for spaghetti english

Your text was already proofread for the most, there's just one more thing to say: "Spartans used to eat" or "Spartans would eat" (even "Spartans ate", although the others options are more correct imo -in my opinion), but not "Spartans eaten" ('eaten' is the past participle of the verb 'eat' and would need at least the auxiliary 'have', but wouldn't make sense here in this context).

At any rate... I sincerley don't mind if someone makes mistakes as far as they try and speak English or whatever language whenever they have a chance. A teacher, years ago, made us student notice that people always welcome foreigners' attempts to speak our language, no matter how silly their Italian sounds. And usually it's the same when you go abroad and use the few words you know of the local language. The less worried we are to use what we know, the more we can improve it :)

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:lol:(non potevo perdere l'occasione :ciglione:)

Now, please oh please guys!, would you explain me what this 'Sparta' thing (and I don't mean the debate Luca is going to have at school, but the meme on the internet and the writings on the walls in the streets) is about? I don't get it......... :(

images

Wait! Mystery solved: while searching for the image I found also this: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-is-sparta
which explains it all. I know I was missing something... I had missed the movie! ;)
I wonder how it could be that that quote became so popular... was the original scene particularly funny?

Ultima modifica:

elena_11293

Master Florello
Oh, as for online translators: if you need to find just a word or expression, try my favourite dictionary and language forum (I'm there posting more than here, lately, just to work on my English --ending up with learning something new about Italian too!): http://www.wordreference.com/

LucaXY

Master Florello
Hi there! :)

Since you guys already edited some of the comments posted (which I think is helpful), I'll add also these corrections:

"Argument" is a false friend for us, it means "discussione" in Italian (one of those you have when you are angry, not just talking and sharing ideas). I think Cheguevilla instead meant to say "topic"..

Your text was already proofread for the most, there's just one more thing to say: "Spartans used to eat" or "Spartans would eat" (even "Spartans ate", although the others options are more correct imo -in my opinion), but not "Spartans eaten" ('eaten' is the past participle of the verb 'eat' and would need at least the auxiliary 'have', but wouldn't make sense here in this context).

At any rate... I sincerley don't mind if someone makes mistakes as far as they try and speak English or whatever language whenever they have a chance. A teacher, years ago, made us student notice that people always welcome foreigners' attempts to speak our language, no matter how silly their Italian sounds. And usually it's the same when you go abroad and use the few words you know of the local language. The less worried we are to use what we know, the more we can improve it :)

Now, please oh please guys!, would you explain me what this 'Sparta' thing (and I don't mean the debate Luca is going to have at school, but the meme on the internet and the writings on the walls in the streets) is about? I don't get it......... :(

images

Wait! Mystery solved: while searching for the image I found also this: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-is-sparta
which explains it all. I know I was missing something... I had missed the movie! ;)
I wonder how it could be that that quote became so popular... was the original scene particularly funny?

Fantastic! :)

Our history prof (he's from England) want us to go to school well dressed (so with a tie, a shirt...); and at the end of the debate he take us a picture that will be put outside the school at the end of the year! Argggg !!! :muro:

elena_11293

Master Florello
Fantastic! :)

Our history prof (he's from England) wants us to go to school well dressed (so with a tie, a shirt...); and at the end of the debate he will take us a picture of us that will be put outside the school at the end of the year! Argggg !!! :muro:

Hehe, com'on, that'll be funny! Don't forget to post it also here, we want to see you and your classmates all dressed up :D

elena_11293

Master Florello
An idea: why don't we (especially you students) use this thread also to post questions about English? For what I can see, there's more than one here who could provide answers and help others. Let's say you need help with some homework because you just don't get which is the correct tense you should use in a sentence, or you didn't understand some new grammar rule your teacher explained in class, or you have some relative or friend abroad and you'd like to send them a line to catch up but you are not sure if what you thought to write them is correct or not... well, in those cases we could post here and ask for help.

What do you think? :)

I'd be glad to help if I have way, btw --by the way.

LucaXY

Master Florello
This is a good idea... in this period we're not doing grammar or difficoult topics (already done from september to December) but when I'll need help in the future, I will absolutely ask your opinions! :)

In this forum there are also other students (that study English); you have this big opportunity!
Maybe we can even practise to translate sentences from italian... :rolleyes:

elena_11293

Master Florello
This is a good idea... in this period we're not doing grammar or difficoult topics (already done from september to December) but when I'll need help in the future, I will absolutely ask your opinions! :)

In this forum there are also other students (that study English); you have this big opportunity!
Maybe we can even practise to translate sentences from italian... :rolleyes:

Sure! :)

And, speaking of school... have you already decided what to say in class about Spartans etc? (just curious)

Another thing we could do here: learning the English names of plants and flowers :love:

For example: daisy is the English for 'margherita'

picture+of+white+daisy+flower.jpg

And also Paperina's original name

donalddaisy.gif

Ultima modifica:

castelli

Giardinauta Senior
I like very much this idea.
Last year I started studing english (to improve it), with several cd sended with a newspaper, but as I am very lazy, I started and stopped.
So I'll be happy to try improving english here!

LucaXY

Master Florello
Yes, I have a long text about it, but I'm lazy and I don't want to copy it here! :D
Well, in general, the subjects that we COMPLETELY do in English are: history, geography (in the American School of Milan the two subjects are called "humanities") religion, art (only in the first trimester), biology (only in the pentamester) and English :D.

Ultima modifica:

elena_11293

Master Florello
I like very much this idea.
Last year I started studing english (to improve it), with several cd sended
sent with a newspaper, but as I am very lazy, I started and stopped.
So I'll be happy to try improving e
English here!

Great :)
(remember, in Italian we don't use capital letters for languages or nationalities, but in English we must. And, 'send' is one of the irregular verbs, as for its past tenses)

Yes, I have a long text about it, but I'm lazy and I don't want to copy it here! :D

I can understand!

Well, in general, the subjects that we COMPLETELY do in English are: history, geography (in the American School of Milan the two subjects are called "humanities") religion, art (only in the first trimester), biology (only in the pentamester) and English :D.

Thanks for telling us, that's interesting, I didn't know that those subjects were called 'humanities'.. I don't know how old you are, Luca, but have you ever thought about spending a year abroad? (with intercultura, for example, I think it's usually our forth year in high school)

Ultima modifica:

LucaXY

Master Florello
Thanks for telling us, that's interesting, I didn't know that those subjects were called 'humanities'.. I don't know how old are you, Luca, but have you ever thought about spending a year abroad? (with intercultura, for example, I think it's usually our forth year in high school)

Well the course in my school is not obligatory, to enter you have to pass an hard test (that I had on the 25th May last year). :ciglione:
I'am going to show you how this course consists.

In this project English is used as a “vehicle” to teach specific subjects or topics within a subject. It offers students the opportunity to learn “using” English in a “real” learning environment helping them improve their skills and fluency. It is a demanding course of studies geared to students that have the required language and academic skills and who can guarantee continuity. Usually students begin the course in the first year of each level of the school (eg. Primary 1). However it is possible to ask the school to test for entry in successive years pending on a more than satisfactory academic curriculum. The Class Teacher’s Council supervises the students’ progress and should it find that the course of studies in causing any difficulties to the student’s results in the Italian National Curriculum or does not really help a student reach his/her full potential it may decide to put a student in the traditional Italian stream, for his/her own best interest. All the teachers of the course of studies are English Mother Tongue and qualified to teach in the different levels of the school or a particular specialty subject. The staff comes from all the English speaking parts of the world; UK, USA, Canada, Australia and other Commonwealth countries offering the students a varied and international teaching community.

Humanities is a mix of geography, history and literature... :eek:k07:

LucaXY

Master Florello
Attention, please, service alert / information for the visitors

From now this thread has changed the name in " English conversation"

I think that now is better and more suitable :eek:k07:​

Alto